TGA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TGA

TGA lives on

You are not connected. Please login or register

upgrade bug!!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1upgrade bug!! Empty upgrade bug!! Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Jimmy

yeah.. time is drawing near. my current rig (excluding the vid card) is nearing 4 years old.. and it has done a great job and still does, still plays every game out with ease. it was a great build but time for upgrade is here.

i think i did make a mistake with my recent vid card purchase. when i bought it i had planned on eventually getting a widescreen 19" monitor (1440x900) to replace the monitor i was using and had been using nearly 6 years lol (17" 1280x1024 lcd monitor that cost $$ back when i got it!). the problem is.. when i went shopping for monitors the prices were so good on a 23" 1920x1080 monitor that i couldnt pass it up. my vid card can play games there fine but doesnt dominate it.. part of that is my older cpu/architexture as well holding back the card a little.

now I'm looking at the Intel SB (sandybridge) 2500k as likely my next cpu. I probably wont upgrade till summer but the planning stage is here. Ivy Bridge (intel's next chip which is just sandy bridge with a die shrink) and Bulldozer (AMD's next chip) should be out by then so I can compare first.

I love building my own computer. Problem is that my other major hobby is damned expensive too! (golf!) Lol. I'm all set on clubs though. Well.. mostly.. I do need to find a nice 3-wood or 5-wood. I dont even carry one in the bag right now. Razz cheers

2upgrade bug!! Empty Re: upgrade bug!! Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

what vid card to you get again? I tried finding that post but couldn't find it.

https://truegamingalliance.forumotion.com

3upgrade bug!! Empty Re: upgrade bug!! Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Jimmy

I have the HD6850 - would have been more than enough for my 1440x900 plans and I was considering 1680x1050 as well.. but like I said when it came time to buy the monitor the prices were so good.. I went 23" 1920x1080 Shocked

Right now I play Blops at 1680x1050 and my frames are around 75-100 except in ending screens, but thats been the case in all CoD games I've had.. options screens and end game screens drop fps for some reason lol. I have 3 screenshots on my steam profile right now.. 2 of them are end game score tab screenies with crappy fps lol.. one of them is mid game after a failed knifer tried his luck and my fps is pegged out at 100fps lol. (I have the max fps set for 100)

When I played at 1920x1080 the fps werent bad.. mostly 70's and 80's.. nothing to scoff at of course. However they weren't as consistant and bouncing from 70's or even 60's to 80's or 90's affected the smoothness. Dropping the res back to 1680x1050 solved that.

4upgrade bug!! Empty Re: upgrade bug!! Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 am

kristi

kristi

uhhh yea...my current rig just turned 10. pfft

5upgrade bug!! Empty Re: upgrade bug!! Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 am

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

I run my 5770 @ 1600 x 900 but I have a 20" widescreen monitor. 91 fps solid if I let it run @ "automatic" When I fiddle with some settings to max things out, it drops to the 50-70 range...but to be honest I can't see that much of a difference while playing at the quality so I leave it at automatic.

I hear good things about Sandybridge

6upgrade bug!! Empty Re: upgrade bug!! Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 am

Jimmy

do you see the big hit to your fps in options and end game screens? i forget the command Sad /cg showfps or something

7upgrade bug!! Empty Re: upgrade bug!! Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:43 am

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

I just use fraps to see my fps, but I never really looked at the FPS difference at end game. Will check next time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum