TGA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TGA

TGA lives on

You are not connected. Please login or register

Almost time for a new Droid

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Almost time for a new Droid Empty Almost time for a new Droid Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

So my contract is up in end of November....yes I know its only August but this technology crap has me researching like crazy.

If I were to get a phone on the Verizon market TODAY, I think I would be taking the Charge (and hey...it almost matches my new charger that I bought in April).

Though since I am stuck with my current Droid Eris, don't get me wrong, love it and it has done me well....I just want a new toy.

So I'm hoping the Samsung Galaxy S2 is out in stores by then (Verizon's is called the Function)

Anything else in the wind from those in the know....I'm looking at you Jimmy. Bottom line, if it doesn't have 4G LTE then it doesn't get bought by me. Super AMOLED+ screen is up there on the list as well. Interested to see these dual core phones.

Potentials

Samsung Galaxy S2:
pros: Super AMOLED + screen, 1.2 GHz dual core, HDMI, 8MP cam, 2MP front cam, unlocked bootloader
Con: Might not be 4G LTE (deal killer if true)...done, not coming to VZW so probably won't get it,

edit: not on Verizon

Motorola Droid Bionic:
pros: dual core 1 GHz, 8MP cam, 4G LTE
Con: qHD screen

Edit: 1 GHz....please, I'll be sad if I don't get 1.5 let alone 1.2 GHz

Nexus Prime aka Droid Prime aka Galaxy Nexus
pros: Andriod 4.0-ice cream sandwhich, 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, 720p Super AMOLED HD display, on a 4.5″ PenTile screen. ITS GOT FUCKING FACIAL RECOGNITION UNLOCK!!!!! GIMME NOW!!!!!!!!
Con: might not be on Verizon (rumor mill that isn't coming to VZW.....this will be the one if it does by Dec)

HTC Vigor (Rezound)
pros: 4.3-inch 1280x720 (720p HD) display, dual-core 1.5GHz processor, 8-megapixel camera, 2-megapixel front-facing shooter, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage
cons: nothing on LTE...and who knows if released by Dec

LG Revolution 2
pros:4.5-inch HD screen, 4G LTE connectivity, and an "incredibly thin" body.
cons: little details and I doubt it will be out by Dec since Revolution 1 is really being pumped now.

edit, little/no intel suggest 2012 release

Droid Razr aka Droid HD aka Motorola Spyder
pros:qHD screen (960×540) is confirmed along with what should be an OMAP4430 clocked at 1.2GHz (“Turbo”). It could end up as the 4460 which runs at a minimum of 1.5GHz, but those have reportedly been delayed. Super AMOLED screen
cons: dunno, only 1.2 GHz I guess.

Last edited by Zebug on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:45 pm; edited 7 times in total

https://truegamingalliance.forumotion.com

2Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:58 am

Jimmy

Come November, I'd have to take a really good look at the Galaxy S2 for sure or anything else thats announced between now and then. I dont think the Charge or say Thunderbolt (HTC LTE phone) could even be in the running. Both the Charge and Thunderbolt are on single core cpu's. I just upgraded from my original Evo (1ghz single core) to the Evo3D (they got rid of our yearly premium updates but gave all of us getting kinda screwed by it one last kick ass upgrade - paid 70 for my 3D after discount and Sprint BUYING back my og Evo) and the dual cores are snappier for sure!

Yesterday I was in training at work.. lab time on equipment they bring in and very much work at your own pace kinda thing.. my group was done so I fired up the ole web browser and on CNNSI they had a link to watch the PGA championship live. I really didnt think it would work on the phone but thought wtf just try it. Streamed amazingly! I was so impressed. A lot of that is due to the dual core, ram, and of course my 4G data. My point.. when you upgrade you will want the latest greatest and there's no way I'd recommend a lowly single core anymore.

So are you worried about the data caps at all? Sprint is still unlimited data and someone asked me when watching that live golf, why would i want to waste data to watch video cause it has to use alot. This is at work were most people are on ATT with data caps (although there were 2 other Evo's (one original and another 3D) in the class lol) and I couldnt help think how lame data caps must be!

Does being LTE remove the cap with Verizon??

3Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

as far as I know, I'll be grandfathered in without data caps if I stay with VZW....if that isn't the case and Sprint is still offering no caps, I will seriously take a look.

I'm with you, wanting to look at that Samsung GS2 and I'm with you, I think I'll restrict my search to dual cores...I guess its a good thing that I have a few more months until my contract is up, that'll give those duals more time to hit the market...right before good ole christmas.

Last edited by Zebug on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

4Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Severed Feet

Switch to sprint, get an Evo.

/thread

5Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:23 am

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

going to update my first post on a regular basis and use it as my notepad to keep track of potential phones for me come November.

6Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 am

Severed Feet

The non-3D EVO has an 8mp back cam, not 5, just fyi.
I would never have payed the extra money to get the EVO 3D.

7Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Jimmy

You wouldn't have spent $70 dollars (what i spent to go from my launch day evo in great condition) for..

1ghz single core -> 1.2 ghz dual core
512mb ram --> 1gb ram
2gb onboard --> 4gb onboard

all doubles in spec from the previous gen along with the new sense revision, a higher res screen (4.3″ LCD, 480 x 800 ---> 4.3″ LCD, 540 x 960), the ability to record in 1080p video (up from 720p).. and toss on the novelty feature of 3D (which does work!)?

every single launch day evo owner and anyone who bought one but would miss out on their yearly upgrade because of sprints changes had this same offer - an extension of their upgrade discount, and could sell the og evo back for $150.

the only supposed downgrades being the loss of the kickstand Sad (i do miss that a little) and 8mb cam to 5 mb (for 2D pics and video). I've had both and the camera is just as good in daytime and better in low light! (the og evo camera shined in sunny daytime pics but was real mediocore everywhere else). Another improvement is the ability to take macro pictures.. the og evo couldnt focus down in tight to objects at all but the 3D pulls this off much improved. megapixels dont mean jack compared to the sensor and the software.

for a new buyer is 99 versus 199 for double the price you get double the key core compenents and imrpovements all over. lastly you know HTC will support the new phone as android OS changes often. I doubt the OG evo gets an official release of honeycomb where as the new one will certainly and probably the next after that (ice cream i think). the evo got two over it's cycle (froyo and gingerbread) but it has to be nearing EOL (where basically they only support it in a maitenance capacity.. no new stuff.. typically happens as the 2 year mark draws close). it makes sense though.. new stuff expects dual core in it's optimizations.. so what would be the point. I'd say a 100 more is worth that (especially since I prefer to buy latest greatest on these purchase to get the longest life out of them.. 199 is the standard price I expect)

8Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

oh concur with Jimmy, $70 for a brand new phone that is twice what you had before (and what you had before wasn't exactly bad).

I will be adding the LG Revolution 2 and maybe the Droid 3 when enough details are out to actually talk about it....it's rumored the the LG Revolution 2 will have a 1.5 GHz dual core.

9Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Severed Feet

I just got me EVO 4 weeks ago or so, and it was 100% free.
(It worked out that way - long story short, Sprint gave my family the farm to not switch carriers).
So no, I wouldn't have gone from $0 to whatever for those upgrades, because quite frankly I don't care if my phone is -slightly- faster. What, is my Angry Birds going to load 2 seconds faster? I've had -zero- complaints since getting this phone. ;P
But yeah, I suppose if you're going to paying for a phone you'd consider shelling out a bit more for upgrades.

Also, you can't record in 1080p, that's only video playback. I've never compared such a feature side-by-side, but it's my understanding that there is very little difference between 720p and 1080p on smaller screens.

10Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

that is true for TV's up to 42" (can't really tell a noticable difference between 720 and 1080) so for a 4.3" screen....I think it will be ok lol.

And Sev....you're an ass getting your EVO for free you freaking mucky duck. Cool Laughing

11Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:57 pm

Severed Feet

Very Happy

12Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:42 pm

RP

RP

I am getting a Droid 3 through work. I will let you know how it works out!

http://www.one22designs.com

13Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:37 am

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

droid 3 has a slide out keyboard right? I'll pass but do want to hear your thoughts on it anyway.

14Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:50 am

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

well the first of the 3 that I am considering should be unveiled tomorrow...the Razr:

The device will be ultra-thin (maybe the thinnest on the market), super fast with a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 4.3″ qHD display, improved cameras all around. Hopefully all three are released (Razr, Rezound/Vigor, Prime/Nexus/whatever) by the time my contract is ready for upgrade (Nov 16th)

15Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

ok, going to pick up my Galaxy Nexus today. Just did a speed test on my old Eris and wanted to capture the speed so I can compare later:

Ping: 113ms
Download: 245 kbps
Upload: 586 kbps
signal strength: -67 dBm 0 asu (no idea what that exactly means but I put it there)

16Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:49 am

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

new phone in the same location as my old phone (I get bad reception inside this iron fortress of an office)

4202 kbps downloan
3440 kbps upload
58ms ping
-98 dBm 42 asu

all in all, this phone freaking rocks.

at my apt I get 24545 kbps down and 16492 up!!!

17Almost time for a new Droid Empty Re: Almost time for a new Droid Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Jimmy

powerhouse phones for the win! it's gadget pr0n brother.. dig all these cool devices.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum