TGA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TGA

TGA lives on

You are not connected. Please login or register

TGA » Topics » Sports Talk » NBA

NBA

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1NBA Empty NBA Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Res

Anyone watch the NBA or have a favorite team that they follow? Mine is obviously the Pacers and they are absolutely destroying people this year. This is most definitely our year to win it all. We could possibly get 4 players on the All Star team and are looking to get homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs. And did anyone see this SICK dunk by Paul George against the Clippers the other night? Oh my lawwwwwwwwwd

WOWWWWWWWWWWW

2NBA Empty Re: NBA Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:05 pm

Jimmy

I'm not a big fan of the NBA regular season. I'll start watching a little more during the playoffs if any of the series are good. I get bored with the NBA even though I love basketball. I just love college basketball more. The ball moves around the perimeter more. It's not so much of a 1 on 1 clear out isolation game.

I also struggle with the atmosphere. I'm spoiled though. My teams (KU in bball and Chiefs in football) have some of the very best and loudest atmospheres in sports. Watch a regular season NBA game and bleh.. the crowd is bored. It's much better during the playoffs.

Remember the 50 game strike shortened season years back.. I thought that was their most exciting season.. 82 games is too long! Shorten it up and make every game mean more ans stop letting HALF the league into the playoffs! Same applies to the NHL really IMO. They need to shorten up the season too. Both those leagues playoffs feel completely different than regular season.

CBB dominates though. The atmosphere is almost always crazy in college.

Am I crazy Derek? I know you're a huge basketball fan so tell me what ya think.

3NBA Empty Re: NBA Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

not a big NBA guy, but I cheer for the Rockets being as I live in Houston.

https://truegamingalliance.forumotion.com

4NBA Empty Re: NBA Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Res

Jimmy wrote:I'm not a big fan of the NBA regular season. I'll start watching a little more during the playoffs if any of the series are good. I get bored with the NBA even though I love basketball. I just love college basketball more. The ball moves around the perimeter more. It's not so much of a 1 on 1 clear out isolation game.

I also struggle with the atmosphere. I'm spoiled though. My teams (KU in bball and Chiefs in football) have some of the very best and loudest atmospheres in sports. Watch a regular season NBA game and bleh.. the crowd is bored. It's much better during the playoffs.

Remember the 50 game strike shortened season years back.. I thought that was their most exciting season.. 82 games is too long! Shorten it up and make every game mean more ans stop letting HALF the league into the playoffs! Same applies to the NHL really IMO. They need to shorten up the season too. Both those leagues playoffs feel completely different than regular season.

CBB dominates though. The atmosphere is almost always crazy in college.

Am I crazy Derek? I know you're a huge basketball fan so tell me what ya think.

I enjoy college basketball as well. I actually tried out for the Purdue team in 2004 and was the last guy cut. I was going up against some pretty stiff competition, was an awesome experience. The atmosphere in college is definitely more palpable but the Pacers are selling out every game left and right, which is awesome considering where we had to come from 11 years ago (the malice at the palace brawl in Detroit). The fans were so turned off by our team that it has taken us 10(!) years to gain our fans' trust back.

5NBA Empty Re: NBA Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:28 am

Jimmy

Derek I thought you might enjoy hearing this. My fourteen year old daughter played for her middle school team this year. She played on C team (they play a shortened season, then she and 2 other girls got brought up to B team which is a regular season, she didn't get much time there as she's not very experienced in bball pretty sure she's only played one rec league of bball prior to trying out for 8th grade, so just moving up was good xp for her) and tonight they had their awards ceremony.

For C team she won D-MVP outright (sweet trophy!) and shared in the steals leader award! (which was a medal.. her and another girl tied with 15 steals each)

Basketball cheers I love you 

She's played soccer one season, softball one season, the bball I already mentioned, and she's on like her fourth season of volleyball.. and all those sports give participation trophys to all the girls. These were her first actual earned trophies and she was so thrilled! I was too! They also gave all the girls a DVD from the season with photos and video from their year.. she's got an awesome pic in there from a B team game where she dove out of bounds to save a ball and tossed it back to a girl who scored it off the catch.. such a sweet assist! The pic she's horizontal in the air.. pretty awesome! I saw it when she did and all I can say is.. damn them pride tears!!  Cool 

ps. reading over this before posting.. lol.. @ xp! I don't care I'm leaving it! I combo sports and gaming slang like a BOSS!

6NBA Empty Re: NBA Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:23 pm

Zebug

Zebug
Admin

lol I read xp and didn't skip a beat....we're such gaming nerds and I love it. Gratz to your daughter...proud moments!!!

https://truegamingalliance.forumotion.com

7NBA Empty Re: NBA Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Res

lol @ xp, that's awesome man. sounds like you have a lot to be proud of!

8NBA Empty Re: NBA Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Jimmy

A little update, she just finished winter volleyball last night. it was a frustrating season cause the sign ups were basically on the honor code. there was developmental, semi competitive, and competitive divisions. she's close to being in the fully competitive league but one question asked:

can you overhand serve 7 times in a row consistently?

She is just a shade below being able to do that so we chose semi-competitive which stated you COULD overhand serve and etc and so on and so on. It was our first time in this winter league. she's played a different league for spring and fall seasons the past 2 years. We learned real quick we should chose competitive. in their first practice we saw some of her teamates couldnt even UNDERHAND serve it over. Yeah.. those parents/kids straight up lied on their entrance (a freaking disservice to the rest of the team.. there were 3 of them like this).

In their first game.. the other team served one over and one of her teammates not knowing what to do.. CAUGHT THE BALL. I just dropped my head and jaw in astonishment!

So the season progressed and they had some up and down games. If they (those that could) served well the opponents would struggle and those led to wins. If the opponents served well - it usually went badly. I thought my daughter had a good season. You could tell watching her level was advanced to most of her team (two other girls from her previous other league team were on there with her, one's good the others solid) Tourney time comes and they lost there first match. My daughter did not have her best game. So last night was the losing bracket game. My daughter was back on her A game.. digging low balls and playing the net and serving well and setting teammates and just looking like she was in complete control. They rolled this team in 2 of the 3 sets and won the other in a close battle.

Afterward they get their participation medals (lame) and we all jet. In the parking lot one of her teammates (the other good one btw) yells the coach is looking for my daughter Alyssa..

So apparently a lot of teams in this league go in together. My daughters team was just a mix and match of players in comparison. Well one of those other "teams" had watched her. They are losing one of their teammates for the spring season and they and their coach want to RECRUIT my daughter over to their team!

So no more just signing up to the hodge podge of whatever you get.. she'll be with a TEAM that goes to various leagues. She was so thrilled.

I wish I could describe my pride. Hard to picture but I couldnt hide my smirk and a little head nod of approval every time I looked at her the rest of the night (my weekend). I love winning.. and that my friends.. was a winning moment.

Thanks for reading!

ps. that smirk and head nod has happened many times when I've killed you all in games! haha. just fyi

9NBA Empty Re: NBA Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Res

That's awesome man. I couldn't imagine the pride I would have for my child in that circumstance. Congratulations to her (and you)!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TGA » Topics » Sports Talk » NBA

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum